Thursday, February 7, 2008

Waking Up

As I wake, my ears are touched lightly by the roosting lovebirds, the crow of the rooster and the chareeeeeep! of something blue with wings outside of our window. I roll over to the epic sounding call of the mosque trumpeting into my ear, followed soon by the organ swaying praising church voices.
I get up and itch an abhorredly sneaky mosquito bite. Cool waters soothe the heat from the night. My nose warms to the distant smell of spicy vegetables being cooked and the ever lingering smell of wood burning stoves. Milky strong chai (tea) rolls over my tongue, speaking of earthiness and distant hills.
I step outside, my eyes nodding to the gecko guarding our door and to the doorman at the gate, who salutes me like a soldier going to war, not merely going to the bus. My nose first swings at the stands of fresh flowers, fresh fried dosa and then to the upturning smell of garbage, urine and stale water in the drain near the street. My nose then embraces the harmonious smells of squashed lemons, burning incense and strewn flowers that bedeck the local temple.
My eyes take control, feasting on more suculent flowers tied into garlands and then swept away by bicycles rolling by mounded with multi-colored buckets, young cocunuts and stacks of colorful hand woven towels. My eyes settle on a silver whisped bronze woman robed in tattered purple silk. Her cracked, weathered hands arrange small monuments of baby eggplants, towers of tomatoes and crowns of yellow green bananas as tenderly as if they were newborn chicks. She places this martydom of vegetables upon a checkered cloth, lovingly smoothed down at the edges. This delicate still life repeats all over on the roads to Coimbatore, my view from the bus the perfect visage.
The bus stand assaults all senses with waves of exhaust, urine, incense, sweat, fresh garlic, orange stacks, floating tobacco clouds, suspended bananas, blaring horns, torn sandals, sleeping dirty figures, smiles, elegant sarees of silk that float, beeps of mopeds, strong coffee with chicory and chiming cell phones.
My hand and foot barely find a place on my final bus ride, with packed bodies filling the insides of the bus, the occasional arm or leg protubing from its metal block frame. One half of my body is immersed in the bodies of the bus grabbing a pole, the other hanging free, drinking in the cool breeze slowly brushing past. The figure entwined next to me reeks of bryllcreme, moth balls and cough drops. He turns and gives me a toothy grin, says hello. I say hello back. Now I realize, I am fully awake.

5 comments:

Andrea VW K. said...

Hi guys,
It's so good to read and hear how you are both doing. I love the pictures, your adventures sound amazing! It seems like such a place so rich in color and take lots of pictures of the henna body art for me! Take care!
Love, Andrea VW Kamper

Lar said...

Hey all,
So I forgot the url of this blog, so I went to www.ericandandrea.blogspot.com today and didn't figure out it wasn't you untill the videos. That first story could totally be you guys. I laughed. And then I realized these people were strangers. And then I laughed again.

Becca said...

Hey friends,

It seems as if your senses are being stimulated with all the sights and sounds and colors. You definitely seem "awake" to the world around you. I find I am not so "awakened" by February in Maryland (although we are house-sitting in old F-ing, I mean Epping Forest on the water, so that's a nice change of pace.

My dad would be proud of your poetic language, Eric. Andrea, it looks like you actually have space and light in your apartment. I'm so happy for you.

Hey, by they way, we're having a girl!

Keep us updated on all the crazy adventures and encounters you have!

We miss you horribly.
Becca

Becca said...

Oh hey. We forgot to tell you that we saw "Breath Boom." Very cool set--very functional and clever, very Eric. Lots of language in the play though; I was fine with it, but I'm not sure the 9 year old behind me should have been there.

Unknown said...

your blogs are so inspirational and refreshing... amidst all the crap going on in this part of the world-- you guys break past it, soaking up the beauty of life like sponges! thanks for "waking [me] up" and making me smile today! i miss you guys!
love n hugs from nyc-
ana marie